Prologue | “From small beginnings come great things.”

Article of the Week

ARTICLE OF THE WEEK
We will begin every week with an Article of the Week.  You will receive a copy of the article on Monday and your assignment for the week will have to be posted on your blog by following Monday.  As growing readers, we need to read variety of materials, not just what is found in our literature textbook.  I hope that these articles will generate discussions in class and online about relevant topics that impact our everyday experiences in the world.  One week out of the month will be a “wild week” and you can choose your own article but be sure to provide a link to it in your post so others can see it too.
Once you open the article document, you will be able to read the article and see the specific directions for your response. Your article response should be posted by 8 AM every Monday morning on your blog. You will also comment on 2 other students’ posts. Your article is due even if school is not in session due to a holiday. Remember to provide link to your article for the “wild week” where you get to choose your own article.  I look forward to reading with you this year! Some of these article have been borrowed from Kelly Gallagher’s website.

Sept 20 – Your Brain on Computers
Sept 27 – The Future of the Electric Car
Oct 4 – Devastation in Pakistan
Oct 11 – How to make American Teens Smarter
Oct 18 – Five Years Later Katrina
Oct 25 – Your Choice
Nov 1 – Sagging Jeans? Go Directly to Jail
Nov 8 – Is Soda the new Tobacco?
Nov 15 – Ten Reasons to be Thankful
Nov 22 – Peace Talks in Middle East
Nov 29 – Your Choice
Dec 6 – From Dr. King to Mr. Beck
Dec 13 – Reshaping Global Economy
Dec 20 – The Twitter Revolution
Dec 27 – Your Choice
Jan 3 – American Students Abroad
Jan 10 – The 99ers
Jan 17 – The Barefoot Bandit
Jan 24 – Easy Grades Failing Grads
Jan 31 – Your Choice

Feb 7 Dangers of Caffeine and Alcohol

10 comments

• Cherval · September 29, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I think that the article about the electric cars is a very good idea that’s actually coming to life. There are a few problems though but I’m pretty sure that they can fix those with a few touches.

• Author comment by ahlam1415 · September 30, 2010 at 10:01 am

1.The president pf Pakistan is Asif Ail Zardari.
    2.what problem have resent monsoon rain caused in Pakistan? monsoon rains fell on several parts of Pakistan on Monday,causing landslides in the north, raising water levels in already bloated rivers and further hindering the government aid efforts.
    3.where in the have people been hard hit by rains and flooding?swat valley
    4.when was the last major natural disaster in Pakistan?
    the earthquake of 2005
    5.why are aid workers having trouble reaching the affected areas?cause the government officials seemed overwhelmed and daunted by the magnitude of the devastation caused by the floods.
    6.how many people have been affected and killed in the current disaster in Pakistan? about 73,000 people killed in the 2005 earthquake in Kashmir.

• Author comment by kelmyers1213 · September 30, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I also really like the article about the electirc car. It was interesting to read and I even thought of some of my own future cars. hahaha . I’m sure that in the future everything will work out.

• Author comment by josh1213 · October 7, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I think the electric car is a good idea i might want to buy one. I am pretty sure that everything is going to work out with the electric car in the future.

• Author comment by jon1011 · October 22, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Having an electric car is actually a good idea. I think i might want one myself. There’s not a lot of problems with this invention so, i think they can work out the problems later on in the future with further inspections.

• Author comment by josh1213 · November 4, 2010 at 6:14 pm

The main problem with teenager reading habbits according to this article is they read books that aren’t educational.

Yes I agree with the arguements in this article because kids read book that don’t teach them good and they are reading books that teach them violence.

The book I picked to read in this class is called night by Elie Wiesel

• Author comment by gennelle56 · November 8, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Yes there is a logic fallacy in this story because it is a good agruement to argue about. The sterotypes we associate with thw way other people dress because it tell you what kind of person they by if someone dress in a suit they are working class and people in inappropriate dress is considered trashy. My reaction to this is i dont care because they should dress how ever they want.

• Author comment by gennelle56 · November 8, 2010 at 7:37 pm

I think the comparison to soda and tobacco is fair because they both kill you from the inside, and if we raise the taxes less people will buy it and if we take it out of school they wont be able to drink most of the time.My personal comsumption of soda is not a lot and it will affect my health by it will make me hyper and then make me fall asleep and it will put me on the obesity side.

• Author comment by josh1213 · November 8, 2010 at 7:52 pm

there is a logical fallacy in this article because it has a great arguement about putting a law for sagging jean when people are totally against it. the sterotype for the article is people who wear inapropriate clothes is called getto and people who wear fancy clothes like suit they are educated and high class. My reaction to the article is that people should wear what they want as long as they have clothes on.

• Author comment by josh1213 · November 8, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I think the comparison to soda and tabacco is unfair because tabacco can hurt people around it soda cant. My consumption of soda is i drink a lot of it and it can affect my health by making me tired all the time and make me more out of shape then i really am.